In September of 1959, the Dominican Monastery of St. Albert the Great in Hong Kong transformed into what came to be known as Rosaryhill School. It commenced with 197 children in the Kindergarten Section and 205 pupils in the Primary Section level of education.
However, the monastic structure used as a school building could only serve its purpose as a more appropriate accommodation was required both in the educational sense, and according to the laws and requirements of the Education Ordinance.
Consequently, the Procurator for the Dominican Missions, Fr. Eutimio Gonzalez, arranged with an architect and a construction company to build a proper school with a capacity for 5,500 students and the foundation of a structure of eight stories was laid. In 1963 a new imposing edifice of Rosaryhill School was completed, ready to receive (by then) 520 children of Kindergarten level and 1,775 pupils of Primary level. Thus the school officially became a center of bilingual learning and a programme of studies was laid down according to the three levels of basic education: Kindergarten (2 years), Primary (6 years) and Secondary (5 years).
Every Catholic school is proud to have on its premises a shrine dedicated to Our Lady, the Mother of our Lord. Rosaryhill School is no different. On the eastern end of the school grounds, next to the Kindergarten play area, stands a group of white sculptured figures representing the Blessed Virgin Mary's apparition to the three shepherd children of Fatima. This is where Our Lady warmly and visibly welcomes all who, no matter what race or creed, come to Rosaryhill School in search for the Light of Truth in learning.
Copyright 2014. Rosaryhill School All rights reserved